additional modules needed by vanilla kernel to run on (at least) 2015-2017 macbook pros
In bug #9889 (closed) the kernel module hid-apple.ko was requested. After booting with it in the released 3.9.0-rc5, the keyboard still does not work. More drivers are required on at least a 12,1 (late 2015) and there is a 14,1 here (2017 no touchbar) which can be tested next after Alpine moves to 4.20 kernel (machine boots already without keyboard, but framebuffer has to be disabled with i915.modeset=0, only kernel 4.20 contains the fix).
Here is the loaded kernel module delta between a running 4.19.0 debian kernel on a macbook 12,1 and the list of available modules in linux-vanilla-4.19.18-r0.apk:
intel_rapl efi_pstore x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_powerclamp intel_uncore efivars spi_pxa2xx_pci spi_pxa2xx_platform md_mod usb_common
In particular, the spi_foo are needed for the keyboard on 12,1 and I think will also work on the 14,1 if my memory is correct (tested debian on it before), The others look like power management which may be more generally useful on other platforms, and the EFI stuff has some usefulness on those systems (which includes Macbooks). This is probably not a complete list of all the drivers the machine can use, but should be a start.
Note that acpi_als.ko, industrialio.ko and kfifo_buf.ko were removed from the running kernel before obtaining the list, not sure what these are, system seems fine without them, may have something to do with webcam? (don’t use). Likewise apple_bl.ko is used for nvidia which is not on my hardware (some 15" have it macbook pros have it, but probably need bunch of others anyways)
already compiled into vanilla with =y, so ignore:
- CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y (drivers/md/md-mod.ko)
- CONFIG_USB_COMMON=y (drivers/usb/common/usb-common.ko)
missing entirely from vanilla config (patchlevel difference?), not sure the action:
- CONFIG_INTEL_RAPL (drivers/powercap/intel_rapl.ko)
- CONFIG_EFI_VARS_PSTORE (drivers/firmware/efi/efi_pstore.ko)
- CONFIG_X86_PKG_TEMP_THERMAL (drivers/thermal/x86_pkg_temp_thermal.ko)
requesting to add to vanilla kernel config (=m):
- CONFIG_EFI_VARS (drivers/firmware/efi/efivars.ko)
- CONFIG_INTEL_POWERCLAMP (drivers/thermal/intel_powerclamp.ko)
- CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS_INTEL_UNCORE (arch/x86/events/intel/intel-uncore.ko)
- CONFIG_SPI_PXA2XX (drivers/spi/spi-pxa2xx-platform.ko)
- CONFIG_SPI_PXA2XX_PCI (drivers/spi/spi-pxa2xx-pci.ko)
that should get further on the 12,1 model, especially the spi_pxa2xx drivers need to be in the initramfs for keyboard. However, kernel 4.20 is really needed to boot the 14,1 laptop; will test it later once 4.20 lands in Alpine.
(from redmine: issue id 9933, created on 2019-01-29)
- child #9938 (closed)